Mashable posted a guide to YouTube privacy settings. It outlines four main areas to take note of when setting up a YouTube profile or channel and how to manage the settings.
As with all online platforms, take a close look at the privacy settings. Only share what you feel comfortable sharing.
Some sites frequently change their privacy settings and policies so keep in the loop with these updates.
Google+ Hangouts On Air – What is it?
The main function of Google+ Hangouts is its free video chat service which enables group conversations of up to 10 people. It can be used via desktop computers and mobile devices.
Of more interest to you as an author, is the “Hangouts on Air” feature which broadcasts these video conversations live on the Internet. This means you have the one person who creates the conversation or ‘Hangout’ (they decide what the ‘Hangout’ will be about) and up to 10 guests who are able to participate in the video conversation. The number of people viewing (not participating in) the broadcast is unlimited.
This means you can create an on air conversation with your friends or colleagues to talk about your new book/title or anything else of interest, and then invite people to come watch it.
If you are not interested in creating or participating as a speaker of a “Hangout” you can always join a conversation. This means you can sit back and watch other people’s conversations or debates for free!
For example Rohit Bhargava, the author of ‘Likeonomics’ is having a ‘Hangout on Air’ live tomorrow called ‘Publishing & Beyond: The Future of Content.’ Check out what his ‘Hangout’ will be about here.
If you can’t attend it then no worries, video conversations are recorded and are available on Google+.
What is YouTube? YouTube is a video sharing website on which users can upload and share videos
Do you have videos of talks or workshops that you have given? Do you put together video blogs or podcasts? There might be some more ways for you to use these files.
How can I use videos to promote my book or Journal?
- Add to YouTube. YouTube is now regularly used as a search engine tool, uploading your videos with a link to the book can help make the book even more discoverable.
- Add your video or audio to Amazon. Wiley are now able to submit videos for use on Amazon book product pages. On Amazon.com, Wiley have seen a positive correlation between book product pages that include a video and increased sales.
- Multipurpose. If you have a blog, website, facebook or twitter account; link to the video potential buyers can view this as added value.
- Don’t sell too hard. If your video is just selling the book and doesn’t give anything extra to the audience they will switch off.
- Use videos related to your book or article. Videos that work well, in terms of driving sales, are those where an author provides some tips or tricks on a subject. If you have an idea for a video which would promote your book on Amazon, please speak to your Wiley marketing team in the first instance.
If you have a video that you think could be used for this kind of promotion please let your marketing contact know.