What is Twitter?
Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service that allows users to communicate through brief, frequent posts.
- Create your own Twitter account at http://www.twitter.com
- Follow friends to start receiving their updates. You can find friends, companies, readers and authors on Twitter by searching their user name, finding people on other networks, and inviting by email. Click here to see our accounts.
- Build up a base of followers. Followers are people who subscribe to your twitter page and read your updates. When you have a follower they will appear on your homepage sidebar and your updates will appear on their homepage. Tell your friends, colleagues and readers that you are using Twitter. Why not include this in your email signature along with a link to your book/journal article and any web pages that you have.
How can I use twitter to promote my book?
- Keep your followers updated. Type regular updates into the web box. Updates can be posted as often as you like, as long as the message is no longer than 140 characters. This will appear on your followers’ Twitter homepages. This way, you can keep people updated on your latest publications, research and interests.
- Post URL links for your followers. Post links to your book/article on wiley.com and to relevant web pages such as book reviews on Amazon in the web box. Your followers will be able to follow these links to find out more about your book.
- Encourage users to review your book. Encourage enthusiastic followers to post reviews about your book on websites featuring your publication, such as amazon.com.
- Follow the discussion… Follow your readers and other authors to keep updated on their activities and to discuss interests that might be relevant to your work and publications. You may find it easier to keep track of the Twitter thread on your homepage by using TweetDeck, an application which allows users to organise Twitter into group and topic threads. Go to http://www.tweetdeck.com/beta/ to find out more.
How can my published content benefit from twitter?
Twitter is the fastest growing social network site of the moment with approx 6 million users, and a growth rate much higher than Facebook or MySpace. The added advantage of Twitter over RSS feeds is that users can opt to receive updates via SMS as well as online.
By setting up a twitter feed you will be able to promote your products to a number of new web savvy users. Many users on Twitter enjoy blogging, online shopping, widgets, bookmarking etc. Twitter is a good place to interest new readers in your work and publications, and keep them updated regularly on your activities such as webinars, Editor blogs, article commentaries.
Follow Wiley twitter accounts in your area – click here to see our accounts